People who have lost ability to participate in previously important activities or the ability to take care of themselves due to trauma or illness require help of occupational therapist. For example, if they experience difficulties of movement after the stroke, burns or with rheumatic and psychic illnesses. Occupational therapist works with people of all age groups starting from prematurely born babies and ending with retired persons.
Occupational theraphy includes self-evaluation, therapy and cooperation with the patient, his family, friends and care-takers. In the majority of cases therapist cooperates with other rehabilitation specialists, for example, physiotherapists.
Embarking work with the patient, occupational therapist evaluates abilities of the person to perform everyday duties, physical, cognitive and communication skills, as well as ability to obtain information about the physical environment – conditions of the place of residence, home, work place or school – and social environment – family, friends, fellows at school, colleagues etc. Therapist evaluates and provides recommendation for the acquirement or receipt of the state funded technical aids.
Health center “Baltezers” provides consultations by the certified occupational therapist Mairita Švāne.
Price of consultation EUR 20.00
Price of the class EUR 12.00 – 20.00 (25 min. – 50 min.)
|Monday||12:00 – 18:00|
|Tuesday||12:00 – 18:00|
|Thursday||10:00 – 17:00|
|Friday||9:00 – 15:00|
Ergo Therapy for Children
Ergo Therapist works with prematurely born babies and children. Most frequent problems when the help of ergo therapist is needed for children are birth traumas or inborn defects, disturbances of psycho motoric development, brain damages, mental health or behaviour problems, autism, joint illnesses and traumas. Consultation of ergo therapist is recommended for children with slightly delayed development – problems with speech and mastering of new skills.
Aim of ergo therapy is to give children maximum independence during performing of daily activities accordingly to their age. For example, ergo therapy classes can master the following skills:
- Self-care skills (brushing of teeth, buttoning, lacing of shoes, usage of utensils etc.)
- Small motoric and manipulation skills (agility of fingers, power, grasps; grasp of pen or pencil, cutting with scissors)
- Eye-arm coordination (colouring, learning to write on the blackboard or rewrite texts in the notebook)
- Planning and organising skills (understanding of time, mastering of the clock, daily regimen)
- Sensory functions (to help children with sensory problems adequately react to various external irritants)
While evaluating children, Ergo Therapists in case of necessity can recommend suitable technical tools to facilitate performing of daily activities. Technical tools can be different, starting from simple caps on stationery and ending with multifunctional activity chairs and multilevel speaking devices.
Ergo Therapist consults children and their parents about application of ergonomic basic principles in everyday life:
- Choice and usage habits of ergonomic school bag
- Correct sitting pose
- Appropriate arrangement of the study environment (height of the table, chair, lighting)